- Other Apps
Here's but a few of President Obama's accomplishments so far as reported by the Washington Monthly (plus my two cent commentary):
1) Passed Health Care Reform. So now 32 million Americans have health insurance, a good thing.
2) Passed the Stimulus. In layman's terms, he signed a $787 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act in 2009 that stimulated economic growth during the Great Recession. You all remember the recession right? I know I do. (All the business owners and Contractors slowly raise their hands). Just weeks after the stimulus went into action, unemployment numbers began to rise and a year later the private sector produced more jobs than it lost and continued on that path for two years.
3) Passed Wall Street Reform. This he did by signing the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act to fix the financial industry because they screwed everything up to begin with and caused the Great Recession. The Act put laws into place where there were none that controlled actions such as banks trading with consumers' money for their own profit.
4) Ended the War in Iraq: The Bush Administration based the invasion and war on the country on the belief that they were hiding nuclear weapons. They didn't find any. Waste of money and lives.
5) Began Drawdown of War in Afganistan: This is the second longest war in United States history. It began after 9/11 and the goals were to break up al-Qaeda and oust the Taliban out of power. It started with over a hundred thousand troops and has dwindled down to just a small force in place there that will remain until 2016. Many died from both sides, including tens of thousands civilians.
6) Eliminated Osama bin laden: BAD ASS NAVY SEALS.
7) Turned Around U.S. Auto Industry: He bailed them out and turned it around. The automobile industry (which my son happens to be a huge fan of) has now added more than 100,000 jobs. Winning!
8) Recapitalized Banks. I've read this one a thousand times and I still don't understand it. Here, you try and make sense of it and report back please: Huff Post / bank / recapitalization thx.
9) Repealed "Don't Ask, Don't Tell": He created a new policy that allowed gays to openly serve in the military. To the anti-gays: let it go you've lost bro.
10) Toppled Moammar Gaddafi: He joined forces with European and Arab countries to support Libyan civilians and rebel troops against Gaddafi's government. The rebels overthrew Gaddafi and killed the dictator without losing any American lives to boot.
The list goes on and on. Obviously the President is in his last four year term and won't be running again. The reason I posted this is because I think he's done a great job and we are lucky to have him. If only he could serve again; although watching his hair turn grey over the years makes me wonder if he would want to.
Read more of our President's accomplishments here: Washington Monthly - Obama Accomplishments
Sources: Wikipedia, Washington Monthly, Huffington Post, CNN